HOLIDAYS AND YOUR PETS, precautions save a visit to your vet

dr parker webpage

By:  Dr. Taylor Parker

 

Happy Holidays!

Here are just a few precautions to consider during this holiday season

 Avoid feeding your pets holiday food

–          Most foods are too rich for our pets and can cause vomiting, diarrhea and anorexia.

–          Bones may be present in the turkey or ham; this can be dangerous if ingested and may cause obstructions which may lead to surgery

–          Onions and garlic can lead to anemia in pets

–          Alcohol is NEVER recommended and yeast dough can also lead to alcohol poisoning

Decorations may be dangerous to pets if ingested or played with

–          Items like tinsel can be swallowed by pets, especially cats and lead to obstruction which my lead to surgery

–          Ornaments made of glass can cut or puncture skin, tongues, etc.

–          Decorations or trees can sometimes encourage urine marking, especially in cats/dogs prone to urine marking in the home

–          Any decorations that require sharp nails, tack, hooks etc. may also lead to injury or ingestion

–          Trees can lead to climbing, which can lead to disaster

–          Lights are great, very pretty, but require electric cords and extension cords, keep pets away from chewing them because it can lead to electrocution

Plants are pretty, but can be toxic when ingested

There are several plant species that we love to keep inside during the holidays, some species include;

–          Poinsettia

–          Holly and Mistletoe

–          Lilies and daffodils

–          Amaryllis

–          Also, watch out for liquid potpourri, this is also toxic when ingested

Guests

We love our family and friends, but they come with their own possible “side effects”

–          Remind guest that feeding your pets table food can be dangerous

–          If any guest use prescription medications be sure they keep them out of reach from your pets

–          Even vitamins can be dangerous if taken in large quantities

–          Guests may accidentally leave open doors or gates, make sure your pet had proper updated tags and microchip

ALWAYS BE PREPARED

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center

1-888-426-4435

http://www.apcc.aspca.org

Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *