Holidays and Your Pets, Tips to save a visit to your vet.

HOLIDAYS AND YOUR PETS, Tips to save a visit to your vet.

By:  Veterinarian Dr. Taylor Parker of Lone Mountain Animal Hospital – Las Vegas, Nevada 

Happy Holidays!

Holiday Pet Safety Tips Las Vegas Nevada

Here are a few tips to consider during this holiday season

 Avoid feeding your pets holiday food

–          Most foods are too rich for our pets and can cause vomiting, diarrhea and anorexia.

–          Bones may be present in the turkey or ham; this can be dangerous if ingested and may cause obstructions which may lead to surgery

–          Onions and garlic can lead to anemia in pets

–          Alcohol is NEVER recommended and yeast dough can also lead to alcohol poisoning

 Decorations may be dangerous to pets if ingested or played with

–          Items like tinsel can be swallowed by pets, especially cats and lead to obstruction which my lead to surgery

–          Ornaments made of glass can cut or puncture skin, tongues, etc.

–          Decorations or trees can sometimes encourage urine marking, especially in cats/dogs prone to urine marking in the home

–          Any decorations that require sharp nails, tack, hooks etc. may also lead to injury or ingestion

–          Trees can lead to climbing, which can lead to disaster

–          Lights are great, very pretty, but require electric cords and extension cords, keep pets away from chewing them because it can lead to electrocution

Plants are pretty, but can be toxic when ingested

There are several plant species that we love to keep inside during the holidays, some species include;

–          Poinsettia

–          Holly and Mistletoe

–          Lilies and daffodils

–          Amaryllis

–          Also, watch out for liquid potpourri, this is also toxic when ingested

Guests

We love our family and friends, but they come with their own possible “side effects”

–          Remind guest that feeding your pets table food can be dangerous

–          If any guest use prescription medications be sure they keep them out of reach from your pets

–          Even vitamins can be dangerous if taken in large quantities

–          Guests may accidentally leave open doors or gates, make sure your pet had proper updated tags and microchip

ALWAYS BE PREPARED

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center

1-888-426-4435

http://www.apcc.aspca.org

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Holidays and Your Pets, Tips to save a visit to your vet.

  1. I had no idea that poinsettias could be dangerous to dogs when ingested. My husband loves to have poinsettias around the house at Christmas time, but our dog likes to get into things. Next Christmas, we’ll try to make sure the poinsettias are out of reach of our dog, and we’ll also make sure we have a vet we can contact and get help from if he were to somehow eat a plant.

  2. Informative. Actually, I was searching for this kind of post where a vet gives some important suggestion about our lovely pets. In this way, I get this article helpful. Thanks a bunch for sharing this article with us. I will definitely follow this tips. 🙂

  3. Ken Hwan says:

    It was very surprising to me to learn how dangerous poinsettias can be for dogs to eat, especially for how common of a decoration they have become! My wife loves to use poinsettia decorations during the holidays, and our dog is very nosy! I will be sure to let my wife know how poisonous poinsettias can be for dogs!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Pet portal login

    Click above to schedule your next visit!